Last year, a stage collapse at a Radiohead concert in Toronto’s Downsview Park resulted in three injuries and one death. Canada’s Ministry of Labor announced that Live Nation, a staging company and an engineer will all be receiving a total of 13 charges, the Toronto Star reports. The announcement came Friday, right before the one-year anniversary of the incident. Scott Johnson, a 33-year-old drum technician, was the fatality in the collapse.
“It will never bring Scott back, but [the charges bring] a little bit of closure,” said Paul Bonney, a friend of Johnson’s and the drummer for the Australian Pink Floyd Show.
The ministry claims that Live Nation did not make sure that the structure was stable enough to support any and all loads.
In a statement, Live Nation said that it did everything possible to ensure the safety and stability of the structure and that it “wholeheartedly” disagrees with the charges. “We will vigorously defend ourselves, and we are confident that through this process, the facts will come to light and we will be exonerated,” the company said.
Live Nation Canada and Live Nation Ontario Concerts both face four charges each. Optex Staging & Services Inc., faces four similar charges. Engineer Domenic Cugliari is also receiving one charge. According to ministry spokesman Matt Blajer, the maximum fine against a convicted corporation is $500,000 per charge. Convicted individuals can face $25,000 per charge or up to a year in prison.
The trial is expected to begin June 27.